HISTORY OF THE AEROCLUB DU QUERCY

 

As far back as the 1930s, the belief that future technological developments will happen in the air brought a few forward-thinking people to imagine the creation of a flying club in the Lot region. At the instigation of the local Chamber of Commerce a grass airfield is established at Labéraudie, to the North-West of Cahors on the left bank of the river Lot. The first AGM of the Aéroclub du Quercy is held on January 4th, 1934, in the offices of the Chamber of Commerce, under the Chairmanship of Mr P. Orliac. The committee is made up of the following members: Messrs Artigalas, de Nazaris, Bris, de Barbe, Grelet, Laboudie, Lantejouls, Vidaillac.

The inauguration of the aerodrome takes place on June 9th, 1935. A huge crowd makes the journey for the occasion (more than 45 000 entry fees are recorded).

A grand celebration of early aviation heralds the birth of the flying club; flying aces displays and introduction flights continue for two days.

Born in 1921, Etienne Lamolère, a Pradines resident who witnessed the inauguration remembers: "I was in a cherry tree, eating cherries. I saw an aeroplane dive and fly around Labéraudie, wheels pointing upwards! Then the twin-engined aircraft transporting the Air Minister, General Denain, had to land in Louis Malbert’s vineyard because the strip was too short! It was flown by Maurice Rossi, who at the time held the world distance record." (Excerpt from Vivre@Pradines n°8).

In 1936, the first installations being somewhat limited, it is decided to construct a reception and meeting building. At the same time it is planned to enlarge the airfield to accommodate a military squadron at Cahors.

A section of popular aviation is established. Its goal is to introduce all young people to aeronautical sports in order to select Air Force pilots from a broader contingent. Its leader, Doctor Barret de Nazaris, formed, among others, Messrs Delmas, Laur, Valat, Maillet,…

Gliding begins in the same year with the flying club buying its first glider, a “planeur-poutre II”.

The results for the year 1937 show the growing success of aviation in the Lot: 468 flying hours, 54 visiting aircraft at Labéraudie, 57 trips to other airfields and 52 student pilots trained this year. A Hanriot HD-32 arrives, the first club aircraft (all others were privately owned); it is from now on used for flight training.

In 1938, the fleet is made up of 7 aeroplanes: 2 Caudron C.280 Phalène, 1 Morane, 1 Potez 36, 1 Hanriot HD-32, 1 Micro Plan and 1 Autoplan, the last two conceived and built at the Club.

In 1939, as war approaches, club activity is put on hold. In the whole of France, popular aviation gives way to pre-military aviation. As war begins, any civilian aviation activity is halted. Nevertheless, the Club carries on under a different form. Model building associations are created in some Cahors schools. Under the guidance of Mr Baboulène this activity soon becomes very successful, so much so that he would become involved in the formation od model aircraft instructors.

The aerodrome is requisitioned for military use until 1940, resulting in some damage, quickly mended later.

Inauguration Labéraudie

Inauguration de l'aérodrome de Labéraudie

Inauguration Labéraudie

Monsieur de MONZIE (Maire de Cahors) au centre

Général DENAIN (Ministre de l'Air) à droite

 

 

Création Labéraudie 01  Création Labéraudie 02  Création Labéraudie 03

 

In June 1942, a model aircraft competition is organized on the airfield. For young people having passed the Basic Certificate in Aerial Sports, model aircraft opens the way to gliding. Under the direction of Mr Dubosc a team of twenty or so students is put together in 1942. Unfortunately, this activity is soon forbidden by the German occupation forces. The Club’s activity will then remain confined to model aircraft until the end of the war.

Normal business resumes at the end of the war. First, gliding, equipped with gliders provided by the Fédération Nationale des Sports Aériens. This branch is run by the lieutenant Dubosc and Mr Lacour and later by Mr le Chevallier, who would become leader of the aerobatic team of the Centre National de Saint-Yan. New projects are born, such as the construction of a two-seater aircraft, the “Ortolan”, the plans of which are presented by its designer, Mr Mourlot. At a later date this aircraft will be built in substantial numbers.

The progress of military aviation during the war years open the doors to commercial aviation after 1945. A nationwide study is launched to evaluate the growth potential of air traffic. The city of Cahors appears as a possible air transport base for regional products.

Flying club members meet on Sundays at the club’s office, rue du Président Wilson in Cahors., then at the aerodrome at Labéraudie, car-sharing; not everyone had a car in those days. The club fleet is very limited..

Avitaillement Labéraudie

Avitaillement

In 1946 a Stampe SV.4 arrives on loan from the French government. It will remain the only club aircraft for 8 years.

 An increasing number of aircraft movements is recorded and the enlargement of the airfield is considered. Airshows are organized, bringing numerous spectators and revenue to the Club. At this time, a glider launch cost 45 Francs, whilst an under-21 student pays 30 Francs. A Castel C310-P is allocated to the Club by the aerial sports department.

At the end of December 1949, the totality of the takings of the opening night at the new ABC cinema are given to the Flying Club. A bar opens at the airfield, built at the instigation of Mr Clément and other club members, welcoming the “great winged family”.

On May 23rd, 1952, Dr Barret de Nazaris (born January 26th, 1900, at Agen) is killed in Southern Spain during an attempt at the World record in straight line for aeroplane under 500 kg. This tragic accident results in the loss of a fervent aviator who, during his whole life, gave so much to the development of the Club.

René Fournier, having learnt wood-and-fabric amateur construction from Barret de Nazaris decided to design and build an aeroplane-glider, guided as much by instinct as by engineering. The RF-1, a very elegant prototype, performed splendidly and economically thanks to a high-aspect ratio wing, retractable undercarriage and a low fuel consumption - low power engine. Barret de Nazaris was always an enthusiastic advocate for the JODEL Bébé D9 (designed by Édouard Joly and son-in-law Jean Délémontez).

Docteur Barret de Nazaris et son pou du ciel

Barret de Nazaris et un pou du ciel de sa contruction

Plaque aposée sur la stele de Pradines (46)

In 1953, under the chairmanship of Maurice Delmas, club members begin the construction of a two-seater Jodel, much of the work being carried out by Mr Baboulène. In october 1953 he receives the Médaille de l’Aéronautique. The same year Mr Conti becomes the club's flying insctructor. having completed instructor training at Challes-les-Eaux. For the next 10 years he will spend all his spare time training new pilots, amongst whom Messrs Allias, Fargues, Bardin, Castagné,…

In 1954, the new Jodel 112 performs its maiden flight. At the controls is the Club chairman, Maurice Delmas. The recompense for all the hard work performed by the team.

In 1958, the club acquires a three-seater Potez 43. Slow but safe, this aircraft will carry out countless initiation flights over the coming years. The Stampe SV.4 is exchanged for a 2-seater SNCAC NC-858.

In 1963, a Jodel 117 is added to the fleet, faster than the 112. It will be replaced the following years by a Jodel DR-1051 Sicile Record, thus enabling longer trips.

1965 is another tragic year for the Club as Maurice Delmas is tragically killed near Luzech in an accident involving the Jodel 112 which he helped build. Robert Jardin becomes the new club chairman. The damaged Jodel is immediately replaced by a new one.

In 1968 the club acquires a single-seater Fournier motoglider and a 4-seater 180hp Morane-Saulnier Rallye Commodore, used primarily for touring.

1971 is a pivotal year in the life of the Club as it is transferred, much against its wishes, from Labéraudie to Cahors-Lalbenque. It is a time of development and growth for regional airlines. Mr Kerhoas, a great friend of aviation, is appointed aerodrome manager. The new airfield is equipped with a 1500m hard runway, three times longer than the previous one at Labéraudie. At this time, runway lighting is powered by batteries and manually operated. The first “Control Tower” is set up in a Citroën van. Much is expected from the development of business aviation. For three years, TAT (Touraine Air Transport) includes a stop over at Cahors as part of its Carcassonne-Paris route. Georges Pompidou, President of France between 1969 and 1974, regularly uses the aerodrome when travelling to his Cajarc home.

Cahors-Lalbenque 1996

Cahors-Lalbenque en 1996

It's been a long way since the early days of 1934.

In 1985, André Salesses, the chief flying instructor, is contacted by the organizers of the Paris-Alger-Dakar rally to operate as one of the crews following the race. This eighth staging of the desert race enables “Dédé” to demonstrate all the professional competence for which he is known.

Déjà, dans le quotidien La Dépêche du 22 février 1986, l'aéroclub attirait l'attention des élus locaux sur la nécessité de ne pas négliger l'aérodrome, outil de demain, en souhaitant l'installation sur cette zone d'unités de sous-traitance aéronautiques qui sont une nouvelle source d'emploi. Précisant que c'est actuellement Toulouse qui rafle tout au détriment de la province régionale.

En 1989, il était fait le constat que : pour un développement de l'aérodrome de Cahors-Lalbenque, des erreurs de départ entravent son essor. En effet, il s'avère que pas un appareil de 80 et 150 places ne peut atterrir et décoller à pleine charge car la piste de 1.500 mètres est trop courte. Dés le départ il aurait fallu faire comme à Rodez construire une piste d'au moins 1.900 m, bien qu'il est vrai que l'investissement a été de 2 millards d'anciens francs en 1974 contre 500 millions en 1970 à Cahors et que la vision de l'avenir a été beaucoup mieux perçue à Rodez qu'à Cahors (confé. du CJD à Cahors du 21.02.89). En conséquence, 19 ans plus tard, le terrain ne peut toujours pas accueillir de charter, donc pas de touristes (d'après L'Eveil n°23).

En 2011, l'aérodrome en est au même point même si des projets, notamment d'accueil de frêt, existent aidés par le développement de la zone d'activité qui le jouxte. Mais les relations entre politique et administration ne sont pas toujours aisées; dont l'exemple de cette entreprise commerciale de produits et matériel aéronautique qui a due renoncer à son installation faute semble-t-il de réactivité.

1993 est une année prmetteuse pour l'école de pilotage de Cahors-Lalbenque. En effet, Coralie Faurie attendait avec impatience son 17ième anniversaire pour pouvoir passer son brevet de pilote privé avion. Ce 13 avril 1993, Coralie est ainsi devenue "plus jeune pilote de France".

Aujourd’hui, l’Aéroclub du Quercy met à la disposition de ses adhérents 3 avions et Ulm permettant les voyages aériens, la promenade, la formation des élèves pilotes. Le coût d’utilisation se trouve parmi les plus bas des associations de Midi-Pyrénées. La formation des jeunes pilotes et l’entraînement des pilotes confirmés est assuré sous le contrôle d’un professionnel de grande expérience assisté de deux instructeurs avion et deux instructeurs Ulm, tous bénévoles.

 

Le terrain d'aviation de Labéraudie est aujourd'hui devenu la Zone Commerciale des Escales de Pradines.

Entre deux grands arbres pointant vers le ciel, en face de la pharmacie, au milieu des maisons, une stèle sur laquelle on ne voit plus grand chose. " Barret de Nazaris , 23 Mai 1952 " (date de son accident mortel). En 2013, le carrefour a été réaménagé, les deux grands arbres abattus et la stèle, nettoyée, a été déplacée sur un côté du rond point où elle a été mise en valeur ; merci à la municipalité de Pradines et son Maire Didier MERCEREAU.

Il reste à Cahors quelques repère de l'ancienne implantation du terrain de Labéraudie :

- A Labéraudie, dans le lotissement situé derrière la pharmacie, est l'impasse de Nazaris. On pourra regretter que cette voie soit un impasse car la vie du Docteur BARRET de NAZARIS, ainsi que nous l'avons vu avant, fut loin d'être un impasse mais le début d'une longue histoire.

- Dans un autre lotissement situé au Nord de l'ancien terrain (aujourd'hui un champ) nous trouvons la rue Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Antoine Marie Jean-Baptiste Roger de SAINT-EXUPERY, né le 29 juin 1900 à Lyon et disparu en vol le 31 juillet 1944, Mort pour la France.

Né dans une famille issue de la noblesse française, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry obtient son baccalauréat en 1917 et, après son échec à l'École navale, il s'oriente vers les beaux-arts et l'architecture. Devenu pilote lors de son service militaire, en 1921, il est engagé en 1926 par la compagnie Latécoère (future Aéropostale) et transporte le courrier de Toulouse au Sénégal avant de rejoindre l'Amérique du sud en 1929. En s'inspirant de ses expériences d'aviateur, il publie ses premiers romans : Courrier Sud en 1929 et surtout Vol de Nuit en 1931, qui rencontre un grand succès.

À partir de 1932, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry se consacre à l’écriture et au journalisme. Il entreprend de grands reportages au Vietnam en 1934, à Moscou en 1935, en Espagne en 1936, qui nourriront sa réflexion sur les valeurs humanistes qu'il développe dans Terre des hommes, publié en 1939.

En 1939, il est mobilisé dans l'armée de l'air et est affecté dans une escadrille de reconnaissance aérienne. À l'armistice, il quitte la France pour New York avec pour objectif de faire entrer les Américains dans la guerre et devient l'une des voix de la Résistance. Rêvant d'action, il rejoint enfin, au printemps 1944, en Sardaigne puis en Corse, une unité chargée de reconnaissances photographiques en vue du débarquement en Provence. Il disparaît lors de sa mission du 31 juillet 1944. Son avion n'a été retrouvé qu'en 2004.

Il écrit Le Petit Prince à New York pendant la guerre, lequel est publié avec ses propres aquarelles en 1943 à New York et en 1945 en France. Ce conte plein de charme et d'humanité devient très vite un immense succès mondial.

- On trouvera également dans le même quartier la rue Clément ADER né à Muret le 2 avril 1841 et décédé le 3 mars 1925 à Toulouse. Il est considéré comme le père de l’aviation. Avant son « éole », il aurait été le premier à faire décoller un engin motorisé plus lourd que l'air en 1890 (soit avant les frères WRIGHT) mais cet exploit reste controversé.

- Toujours dans le même quartier, se trouve la rue Georges GUYNEMER né le 24 décembre 1894 à Paris 16e et mort le 11 septembre 1917 à Poelkapelle (Belgique). Bien qu'il ne soit pas un « As des as », il est l'un des pilotes de guerre français les plus renommés de la Première Guerre mondiale.

-  L'avenue qui permet, depuis Labéraudie, de pénéter dans la ville de Cahors porte le nom d'une célèbre aviatrice: Maryse BASTIE.  Marie-Louise 'Maryse' Bastié (1898-1952) est née à Limoges le 27 Février 1898, orpheline de père à 11 ans, celle qui s'appelait encore Marie-Louise Bombec fut d'abord une modeste piqueuse sur cuir dans une usine de chaussures. Elle découvrit l'aviation en épousant son filleul de guerre, le pilote Louis Bastié. Ayant acquis une renommée mondiale en dix records au cours desquels, seule à bord, elle a fait preuve d'une rare maîtrise, elle a notamment inscrit à son palmarès,

. en 1930, le record de durée féminin international en 37 heures 55 minutes;

. en1931, le record féminin international de distance, avec 2.976 kilomètres;

. en 1936, la traversée féminine de l'Atlantique Sud en 12 heures 5 minutes

Capitaine de l'armée de l'Air, 3.000 heures de vol, Commandeur de la Légion d'honneur à titre militaire, Maryse Bastié lègue à la postérité l'admirable leçon d'une victoire constante de la volonté sur la fragilité. Son nom restera parmi les plus grands de l'histoire des Ailes françaises.

- Au-dessus du chemin de la Gravette passe une ligne électrique qui porte encore aujourd’hui les boules de signalisation pour la circulation aérienne.

Stele de Labéraudie - Cliquez sur l'image pour l'agrandir

Cliquez sur l'image pour  accéder au site Saint-Exupéry

Clément ADER

Georges Guynemer

Maryse BASTIE - Cliquez sur l'image pour lire sa vie

 


Chemin de La Gravette